Frequently Asked Questions

I am interested in applying to the Master's Program in Kinesiology and Health Science. What are some potential career options after graduation?

Completion of the Masters program provides students with the knowledge and hands-on skills to continue in research, either through pursuing a PhD, or by obtaining work as a research assistant within a lab in an academic, clinical or industrial setting. Many of our Masters students pursue professional degrees (dental, medical, physiotherapy etc) following completion of their degree, as they are now more competitive with the applicant pool. Individuals with Masters degrees often are able to get teaching positions at community colleges, but a PhD generally is required to teach at a University.

I am a current Master's student at a different University. On completion of my Master's degree, I am looking to progress onto York’s PhD program in Kinesiology and Health Science. How do I find a suitable supervisor?

You are encouraged to contact members of our graduate faculty directly for details about their research and specific interests before submitting an application. A list of faculty members in Kinesiology and Health Science whose research may be in line with your interests is available at Faculty.

Will the Master's program give me the opportunity to work as a researcher in a university settings?

The thesis Masters program provides students with the opportunity to gain in depth knowledge in a current research area within our faculty members interests. Students work closely with their faculty supervisor in the design, planning and implementation of the thesis research project. Many of our students have the opportunity to present their research at national and international conferences. All students are encouraged to submit their research findings for publication in peer-reviewed journals.

Does York University offer placements, or will I have to search for a vacancy myself?

Our thesis program does not offer placements as part of the Master's degree. However, through your Master's supervisor, you may make connections to clinical and/or industrial opportunities. This depends on individual faculty members and the types of research projects and contacts they have externally.

I am interested in a graduate program specific to Sport Psychology at York University. Who should I contact for detailed information and the application process?

Within the research stream of Health and Fitness Behaviours, we have several faculty members with research expertise in Sport Psychology. You may find details of individual faculty member’s research interests, as well as their contact information at Faculty.

You are encouraged to contact members of our graduate faculty directly for details about their research interests and the availability of potential student positions before submitting an application.

To apply to the Master's program in Kinesiology and Health Science, see Kinesiology & Health Science | York University Future Students.

The Graduate Program in Kinesiology and Health Science considers candidates for admission only after a completed application and accompanying documentation is received by the Graduate Admission Office.

I am interested in applying to the Master of Fitness Science (Non-Thesis) degree program. Is it necessary to seek out an advisor before applying?

The primary contact for the MFSc degree program is Dr. Veronica Jamnik. Faculty members who might be potential supervisors will review your application package and contact you.

Is there guaranteed funding for graduate students?

At the time of offer of admission, qualified graduate students are provided with a guaranteed funding package for the duration of their program. Training opportunities and funding are provided through research assistantships in the student’s field of study, teaching assistantships with relevant undergraduate programs and/or graduate assistantships with faculty members or research units.

I graduated with a Bachelor of Arts(BA) degree. Am I eligible to apply to a Master of Science (MSc) program?

Yes. You may apply to a Masters of Science program with BA. Your potential supervisor will determine whether you have the background sufficient to succeed in their area of research specialization. If your academic background is deemed insufficient, you may be asked to take additional undergraduate courses in specific subjects before gaining admission to the Masters program.

What are the admission requirements for a VISA student?

To be considered for admission to the graduate program, a student must: 1) be a graduate of a recognized university, with at least a B+ standing in the last two years of full time study, and 2) must have a strong background in one or more of the following disciplines: physiology, psychology, epidemiology, neuroscience, biomechanics, biochemistry or molecular biology, depending on their area of interest. The Graduate Admissions office assesses foreign transcripts to determine the applicant’s level of education and academic standing.

If your first language is not english, you must show that you have an acceptable level of english by completing a language proficiency test. If you have completed at least two years at an accredited university in a country (or institution) where english is the official language of instruction, you may be exempt from this requirement.

NOTE: Applicants who cannot present an honours degree or its equivalent may be required to complete a make–up year at the undergraduate level with the supervisor's guidance.

What you need to know when completing a Graduate Admission Application

1. How is my grade point average (gpa) calculated?

Generally, Graduate Admissions calculates your grade point average based on the grades from your last 2 years of full-time studies (20 half courses). If you have fewer than 20 half courses in the last 2 years of study, they will calculate your gpa based on what is listed in those sessions, or will include all courses from the next most recent academic session, whichever option is closest to 20 half courses. Graduate Admissions will not break up an academic session when calculating grade point averages.

2. In my statement of interest, should I include the names of the potential faculty member supervisors?

Your statement of interest should include what research areas and professors you are interested in working with.

3. Is written work required as part of my application?

Submitting written work as part of your application is optional. Examples of written work include essays written for advanced level courses.

4. Should references be academic, or academic and one from an employer?

References are preferred to be academic.

5. Is a CV required for my application?

Yes. Applicants are also required to include a personal statement that can be used to describe previous relevant course/work experience as well as reasons for applying to the graduate program.

6. Will my university transcripts be accepted if they are in a sealed envelope?

Transcripts must be submitted to Graduate Admissions in a sealed envelope directly from the issuing institution. Transcripts must also bear the seal of the institution.